Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Another Ode to Suzanne Porter on the Spring Equinox



I was just back in the garden checking out what has budded, as I noticed this little gem glowing in a sun-dappled corner. I had forgotten what it was called, but remembered distinctly why I had bought it, and upon who's recommendation I had made room for it in my tiny garden. It was, once again, Suzanne Porter, despite her being 'late'.

I had to look up the article in Horticulture Magazine, from which I had sourced this one, and am linking to it for future reference. I think I will go through it and write a list of plants from her garden too (see below). It's like a manual of perfect recommendations. It makes me want to double the size of my garden to fit more of these gems in. I do love my little space, and really it is just manageable for me, though, so for now I'll have to just cram a few more picks into these hidden nooks and crannies.

Here is the plant list:
Hypericum x inodorum 'Summer Gold' (seen here to the right)
Salvia officinalis 'Icterina'
Cotinus coggygria 'Purple Robe'
Canna 'Wyoming'
Heuchera 'Pewter Veil'
castor bean plant (Ricinus communis 'Dwarf Red Spire')
Miscanthus sinensis 'Nippon'
Haloragis erecta 'Wellington Bronze'
Rumex sanguineus var. sanguineus
Verbascum chaixii
Sambucus racemosa 'Plumosa Aurea'
Artemisia canescens
Festuca 'Elijah Blue'
Artemisia 'David's Choice'
Agastache 'Firebird'
Mimulus 'Big Tangerine Red'.
R. ‘Altissimo’
Hemerocallis ‘Water Witch’
Abutilon ‘Souvenir de Bonne’
Cestrum elegans ‘Smithii’
Sambucus nigra ‘Variegata’
variegated oregano (Origanum ‘White Anniversary’),
Hypericum xmoserianum ‘Tricolor’,
Cordyline australis
golden larch (Pseudolarix amabilis)
Acacia cognata
brick-colored Cytisus 'San Francisco'
Canna 'Durban'
Berberis thunbergii 'Crimson Pigmy'
blood grass (Imperata cylindrica 'Rubra')
blond, feathery Sesleria autumnalis
Hypericum androsaemum 'Albury Purple'
Corokia cotoneaster
Aspidistra elatior, and
Iris foetidissima
Styrax japonica

No comments: